Thursday, July 30, 2009

Rubbermaid 7J12 Premier 20-Piece Food-Storage Container Set

Rubbermaid 7J12 Premier 20-Piece Food-Storage Container Set

Price: $22.99
Manufacturer: Rubbermaid
Buy from amazon.com

Rubbermaid Premier 20-piece Set #7J12 includes: (3) 1.25 cup (3) 2.0 cup (2) 3.0 cup and (2) 5.0 cup. Featuring Easy Seal: Flex & Seal lids that lock in freshness and are easy to seal & remove. Rubbermaid Premier food storage containers are easy to clean featuring durable shatterproof plastic that resists stains & odors for lifetime of clarity. Rubbermaid Premier is exceptionally easy to store using Easy Find lids that snap to the bottom of the container and to each other. Another great storage feature is that the Rubbermaid Premier base and lid nest inside each other. With Rubbermaid Premier one lid fits multiple bases. Rubbermaid Premier is guaranteed for life. Microwave, Dishwasher, Freezer Safe.

Information

  • Amazon Sales Rank: #4508 in Kitchen & Housewares
  • Size: 20-Piece
  • Color: Warm Black Mist
  • Brand: Rubbermaid
  • Model: 7J12
  • Dimensions: 7.69" h x 9.25" w x 12.56" l,
  • 20-piece food-storage set includes three 1-1/4-cup, three 2-cup, two 3-cup, and two 5-cup containers
  • Resists stains and odors; see-through bases provide clear view of inside contents
  • Lids easily seal and remove, plus can fit multiple bases; nest together for compact storage
  • Safe to use in refrigerator, freezer, microwave, and top-rack dishwasher
  • Measures approximately 9 by 9 by 15 inches when stacked; limited lifetime warranty

Product Reviews


Rubbermaid's Premier collection of food-storage containers makes container and lid organization a breeze. Designed with space efficiency in mind, the lids and bases nest inside each other so they take up less room when stored in a cabinet or drawer, plus the lids snap to the bottom of the containers and to each other, which means no more searching around for the right-size lid. Even more, one lid can accommodate multiple containers. The bases, made from durable shatterproof plastic, resist stains and odors to maintain clear visibility of inside contents, while the easy-to-seal lids lock in freshness, yet can be removed effortlessly. The covered containers can be used in the refrigerator, freezer, or microwave, and they clean up quickly by hand or in the dishwasher. This 20-piece set includes three 1-1/4-cup containers, three 2-cup containers, two 3-cup containers, and two 5-cup containers. Great for storing everything from sugar, trail mix, and fruit salad to baked goods and leftovers, this 20-piece food-storage container set measures approximately 9 by 9 by 15 inches when stacked together and carries a limited lifetime warranty.


Would be great except the BPA
I owned and loved these until I read the most recent report from the National Institutes of Health outlining the health risks that come with BPA. After doing a little more research I threw out all my BPA plastic and have reduced how much plastic of any kind I use for food storage or prep.

I have to admit that I used to think the people who were avoiding plastic were a little nutty, but as it turns out they were right.

To Rubbermaid's credit they made the switch easy - their web site has a page that clearly shows which of their products have BPA. Fortunately most of their products are BPA free. I switched to the "Easy Find Lids" line which is almost as nice as the Premier. The "Durables" line is also BPA free.

If you really want the "Premier" containers the safest way to use them is to hand wash in warm water and avoid microwaving with it (especially with liquids). If you have small children or may become pregnant you probably want to stop using it altogether.

Rubbermaid Premier storage set
What can I say. Love them. Don't want any other type in my kitchen. Love the new lids. What a space saver. Took them to a BBQ and was able to take the lid off turn it over and set the dish on it to serve. Didn't have to worry about the lid getting lost. Clean up is great. No Stains and they look so nice. Got to get them. You will love them.

Good for nearly two years--then the cracking started!
I was so taken by Rubbermaid's Stainshield containers after I received a set about two years ago that I ran out and bought a bunch more a la carte at Target. During the first year, I found that one container had a large crack, which I wrote off to something I might have done by accident.

Now, I've thrown away four more over the last month--now five including the one I found cracked about 30 minutes ago after heating up my lunch! These containers are touted as being **shatter-proof**, but they crack like nobody's business. I've been very careful with them--I don't throw them around, heat them up too hot, or freeze them.

The combination of the fact that Rubbermaid's Stainshield containers got a poor review for keeping food fresh from Consumer Reports and my personal experiences indicating that they are not durable, means that I'll be trying another product soon. I've always been happy with Rubbermaid, but this particular product just didn't provide the durability I expected for the light use I put on them.

A note: I bought mine about two years ago. It's possible that Rubbermaid has strengthened their Stainshield technology since then.


No comments:

Post a Comment