Monday, July 27, 2009

Pyrex Storage 6-Piece Round Set, Clear with Blue Lids

Pyrex Storage 6-Piece Round Set, Clear with Blue Lids

Price: $15.48
Manufacturer: Pyrex
Buy from amazon.com

Pyrex

Information

  • Amazon Sales Rank: #2290 in Kitchen & Housewares
  • Brand: Pyrex
  • Model: 6010170
  • Released on: 2007-01-01
  • Dimensions: 7.75" h x 4.06" w x 9.44" l, 11.51 pounds
  • 6-piece set of Pyrex glassware for ingredients, prepped food, and leftovers
  • Includes 2-cup round dish, 4-cup round dish, 7-cup round dish, and 3 lids
  • Made of durable, clear glass with smooth, straight sides; dark blue plastic lids
  • Stores in the refrigerator, warms in the microwave, and serves at casual meals
  • Safe in the dishwasher; different shapes and sizes also available

Product Reviews

Amazon.com Review
Durable and nice-looking, Pyrex Storage pieces offer a welcome alternative to a cupboard full of plasticware. Made from strong, clear glass, the dishes are great for leftovers, ingredients, or prepared food. They store comfortably in the fridge, warm up in the microwave, and look a lot better than beat-up old plastic pieces at the table. For the storage line, Pyrex combines dark blue plastic lids with its reliable glass construction, adding versatility and stackability to the design. This 6-piece set includes three round dishes--2 cups, 4 cups, and 7 cups--and matching lids. Rectangular pieces are also available, and all are safe in the dishwasher for easy cleanup. --Emily Bedard

What's in the Box
Storage set, consisting of: 2-cup round dish; 4-cup round dish; 7-cup round dish; 3 lids. 6 pieces total.


Pyrex containers have simplified my life
I had fairly recently invested in a set of Rubbermaid Premier containers when the news got out about BPA (bisphenol-A) leaching into foods from plastic.

I didn't want to invest in more plastic -- even grades of plastic that are currently considered safe. I decided to go with glass. And I'm glad I did.

This set is one of three that I purchased. I also bought the Pyrex Storage 6-Piece Refrigerator Shape Storage, Clear with Blue Lids and the Pyrex Storage 18-Piece Round Set, Clear with Blue Lids. With these three sets together, I feel like I've got plenty for my storage needs for a family of 4.

I had feared that switching to glass -- although the right decision for me from a health-consciousness perspective -- would be the source of some headaches. I imagined having to be overly cautious with the containers, treating them super gently, worrying that they would slip out of the refrigerator and break, wondering how I would stack them in the cabinet without having them all fall down.

To my delight, this hasn't been the case at all. The manufacturer's claim that the glass is light-weight is fair. Obviously, these aren't as light as plastic containers, but they are very manageable.

These pieces are not as attractive as those in Pyrex's more fashionable lines, but I would have no qualms about serving from these at any casual meal. They look much nicer than anything plastic.

The Pyrex lids are, to me, an improvement over the lids that come with Rubbermaid plastic containers. First, each lid has a lip that runs all the way around the outer edge. This allows the bowls to be stacked safely on top of each other, whether in the cabinet or in the refrigerator. The storage bowl on top rests inside the lip of the bowl on bottom and won't slide off.

Also, the design of these lids makes them easier to clean. All the Rubbermaid container lids I've owned have had a very narrow opening on the outside edge where the container fits into the lid. These crevices can trap bits of food (usually sauces gone astray in my experience) and can be very difficult to clean. The Pyrex lids have a wide lip that can easily be wiped out.

Other reasons I am glad I replaced my plastic containers with these:

1. No more concern about harmful chemicals getting into my food.
2. I can microwave leftovers right in the storage container.
3. I can wash these in the top or bottom rack of my diswasher without any worries.
4. I can put fish, tomato sauce, whatever into these and not worry about them retaining stains or odors.

Buying these Pyrex sets was a bit of an investment, but now that we're being told you should replace plastic every few years since it breaks down with use, heat, etc., I figure I will make up the cost in the long run.

Pyrex Convert!
Good-bye tupperware and rubbermaid. I don't think I'll ever use anything but Pyrex for food storage, again. It wears beautifully...no scuffs, discoloration or wear marks. It heats in the oven or microwave beautifully (I don't use the lids in the microwave). But best of all, my son was home for the holidays and when he opened the frig he commented, "Wow. Nicest tupperware I've ever seen." The price is really good, too, considering these will probably outlast any of my plastic storage pieces. Also, I was never too concerned about plastic leaching out into my food from microwave use, but now I'm not concerned at all. ;-)

Order a 6-piece set first
This was my sixth order of Pyrex storage items in the past ten months. I now own 44 containers (plus 44 lids) in various sizes from 1 cup to 7 cups. There are always several in the freezer, many in the refrigerator, a handful in the cupboard, a few in the dishwasher and one or two storing bulk ingredients in the pantry. With the clear bowls, refrigerated leftovers are no longer forgotten until it's too late.

If you're purchasing Pyrex storage pieces for the first time this is a great starter set. If you're not sure which size(s) are best for your household, start with this set (one each 2-cup, 4-cup and 7-cup sizes plus lids) and/or the other 6-piece set (one each 1-cup, 2-cup and 4-cup sizes plus lids). Once you use them on a daily basis you'll know which sizes or sets are most useful in your household. I guarantee you'll be ordering more. Start checking the prices every day. One morning you'll log in and the items you need will be at a too-good-to-pass-up price. That's how I've placed each of my six orders. As I result, my 44 containers have averaged $4.72 per bowl+lid set.

These containers have made healthful eating so much easier. In the winter I cook large quantities of vegetable and grain stews and soups in a slow cooker and freeze the leftovers in 1-cup and 2-cup containers. These have totally replaced prepared frozen dinners. With summer in full swing, I wash and tear a head of romaine lettuce that fills the 7-cup size and use a variety of 1- and 2-cup containers for assorted salad vegetables run through the food processor. In well under half an hour I have salad fixings for several days. I can set out a salad bar for lunch or dinner in a minute. No more excuses that I'm too tired or too hungry to start prepping the salad fixings at 6:00 P.M. And it tastes better than if I'd washed and chopped and sliced immediately before eating. All the ingredients are always cool and extra-crisp.

Improved our diet, cut down on disposables, replaced plastics in the microwave, made in USA. What's not to love?



No comments:

Post a Comment